In 2000,  three Swiss brothers decided it was time to give vegetarians more choice. So, in 2000 they created Tibits in Zurich. The Swiss sensation has now moved to London and you can pile your plate with over 40 dishes from their buffet-style restaurant.

From Swiss Alpine macaroni to Middle-Eastern shakshuka, they’ve got it covered and you pay by weight. The ingredients are carefully sourced, primarily organic, seasonal and local.

The location

Tibits is tucked away on Heddon Street, a peaceful pedestrianised road just off Regent Street and only a few minutes from Piccadilly and Oxford Circus. There’s another branch in Bankside, just behind the Tate Modern.

The space

There’s a large outdoor seating area on the pavement which is a pretty unique tranquil setting in this fast-paced part of town. Or, if you sit indoors, you will be surrounded by floral wallpaper and crystal chandeliers, at a table decorated with candles and flowers. As you enter, a friendly host explains the concept of the restaurant. You grab a plate, fill it with as many options as you like from the buffet in the middle of the room (called the Food Boat), take it to the counter and pay by weight. There is no table service.

The chic vibe and relaxed background music creates an inviting atmosphere for long lunches with friends or working breakfast meetings.

There were several people comfortably dining alone while working on their laptops. The food is also available as takeaway and can be ordered on Deliveroo.

The fresh juice test

The juices are freshly squeezed on site every day and I ordered the Green Fitness. It was a refreshing blend of apple, fennel, lemon and kale. Hot drinks range from organic herbal teas to Indian Chai Latte, and soft drinks include Kombucha, Hibiscus Iced Tea and Ginger Lemonade.

What we ate

We stacked our plates with as much variety as we could squeeze on. I love that you’re able to taste a bit of everything, rather than having to choose one or two dishes.

Nothing compares to tucking into a mountain of rainbow colours, flavours and textures.

But do bear in mind it’s easy to go overboard and it can become quite pricey due to the weighing system, if you’re not careful! My plate included a range of hot and cold salads, falafel, hummus, tomato salsa, glass rice noodles, beans and chickpea stew. I also had a raw chocolate peanut butter square for dessert.

The crowd

As well as vegans and vegetarians, the crowd includes Mayfair or Soho workers who are looking for a nourishing local lunch. It’s always busy, but the staff can usually seat you as it’s quite a large space.

The little things that make the difference

Tibits caters excellently for people with allergies and intolerances. All dishes are clearly labelled for allergens and there are plenty of options.

While 80% of the food is vegan (with the remaining 20% vegetarian), every Tuesday all dishes are exclusively vegan.

What we’d go back for…

I’d love to go back and try the breakfast selection, which features freshly baked pastries, artisan breads, homemade bircher muesli, fresh fruit, juices and jams.

The bill

Large plate 1   £12.50
Large plate 2  £16.30
Dessert  £1.10
Green Fitness Juice   £3.90 

Tibits

12-14 Heddon Street
London
W1B 4DA

0207 758 4112
  • you may also like
    Les Filles, Bayswater

    London, Bayswater
    Les Filles, rose lattes and buckwheat pancakes in Bayswater
    Les Filles is the third restaurant in the LLS chain created by the inspirational plant-based restauranteurs, sisters Sonia and Hayet
    Kalifornia Kitchen, London

    London, Fitzrovia
    Kalifornia Kitchen, plant-food and plastic free in W1
    ‘Healthy is Sexy’ according to Kalifornia Kitchen. It’s the latest addition to London’s thriving plant-based café scene and one I
    The Meets, Amsterdam

    Amsterdam, De Pijp
    The Meets, a go-to vegan and vegetarian café in Amsterdam
    ‘We like to follow the 80/20 rule- 80% plant-based, 20% animal produce! Although the main rule is 100% lekker!’ Or