Flax & Kale was the first Flexitarian health-food restaurant in Barcelona. While 80% of their dishes are plant-based, the remaining 20% contain oily fish. Flax & Kale are passionate about healthy food and the café is famous across the Catalan city.

The setting

You can find Flax & Kale in El Raval, near the Placa Catalunya and the main shopping district. Take the L2 metro to stop Universitat or bus D50 to Ronda Universitat. The amazing Museum d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona is also nearby.

The space

The outside is clean and simple. You will see large windows with beige awning with the Flax & Kale initials on it. The street is quite busy since it’s one of the main shopping streets near by Placa de Catalunya and there’s a terrace outside.

Inside, the café has high ceilings and feels airy and large.

The wall length windows fill the restaurant with natural light which suits the warm wood work and white accessories. You can expect lots of plants, exposed brick, communal tables and a selection of eating areas including booths. I sat down at the bar since I was alone and it was super crowded. I did the review around 11am  on a Tuesday.

On the second floor, there’s another section of the restaurant which they open during peak hours. Finally, there’s also a gorgeous roof top terrace where you can dine in between flowers and plants!

The service is very quick. I couldn’t decide what to pick and the waitress recommended her favourites instead of the best sellers and the most expensive dishes. There’s wifi, but I wouldn’t recommend sitting in to work, as it gets so busy during breakfast and lunch hours.

What else?

The crowd is very diverse and caters to all ages. They have a kids menu. Flax & Kale have two other smaller branches- the take-away F&K Á Porter in the H&M Flagship Store in the Passeig de Gràcia district and F&K Passage in Sant Pere Més Alt Street in the Ciutat Vella.

The fresh juice test

Flax & Kale have a large drinks menu.

You can choose from kombuchas, smoothies, a wide range of Theresa’s Juicery juices, mylks and purées.

I decided to review The Berlin juice – a rainbow coloured fruit purée. It was a very, very good choice! The cold-pressed purée has three different layers. The first layer is made of orange and mango purée. The second layer is a less thick blend of strawberries and blueberries. The last layer is a thick beetroot and activated charcoal layer. It comes ready made in a bottle, but do shake it first. I tried to drink it but nothing came out initially and then everything came out at once. All the flavours were there and I really liked the juice. Even though it is packed with fruit you can still taste the beetroot flavour.

What we ate

I had the Rainbow coconut milk parfait and the Ginger turmeric doughnut.

The base of the parfait is home made coconut mylk yoghurt mixed with blue spirulina, which colours the yoghurt pale baby blue. The bowl is topped off with a lot of fruit- blueberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, grapes and banana. Next to this, they add their gluten free crumble with chocolate chunks and their homemade “moskito”, which is a cookie made of buckwheat flour, cashew mascarpone with a plant-based chocolate cover. It is a great sized portion.

Next, I had the non-fried ginger turmeric doughnut. The doughnut is made out of almond flour and is covered in plant based chocolate. In the middle it has a blob of ginger, turmeric and cashew cream. The doughnut had a very airy texture because of the almond flour. It does taste a bit more like a cake though, since it isn’t fried.

The little things that make the difference

The toilet is so beautifully designed. The light is amazing and the walls are full of mirrors so everyone can take photos and selfies in the bathroom.

The bill

Rainbow coconut milk parfait  €8.95
Ginger turmeric doughnut  €2.95
Berlin juice  €5.95


Flax & Kale

Carrer dels Tallers 74b
08001 Barcelona

(+34) 933 175 664
  • you may also like
    Plant Hub, Hackney

    London, Hackney
    Plant Hub, Hackney’s latest vegan café and cookery school
    It’s been a long journey for Plant Hub’s creator, David Bez, to find a fixed London home for his innovative,
    Copenhagen: 42 Raw

    Copenhagen, Frederiksberg
    42 Raw, the best raw, vegan food in Copenhagen
    If you are looking for plant-powered perfection then head to 42 Raw. It’s almost a Copenhagen landmark and it is
    Meet the Glowstar @SarahMalcs

    Meet the Glowstar
    Sarah Malcolm @SarahMalcs
    Sarah Malcolm is a freelance food stylist and photographer. After training as an actress, she started her blog www.sarahmalcolm.co.uk to share her passion